Wednesday, August 8, 2007

We and the Honey Bee


Ok, I know the title is gramatically incorrect, but it sounds good for a title.

The Honey Bee belonged to the in-laws, and it was our first exposure to the world of RVing.

My wife is probably not a tent camper, and I can only assume that because the tents we own exceeds the number of times they've been used.

At the time of the Honey Bee, we owned a 30' Cabin Cruiser. As the family was growing rapidly (my son is only 7 years old in the photograph) the cruiser appeared to be getting smaller. Some friends came down to spend the weekend iat the lake and stayed in an RV at the campground.

A little background on myself, an RV is something I SWORE I would never own. Not me. I couldn't stand traffic and I hated the idea of spending most of my time driving somewhere to relax. I developed this opinion after living 10 years in the Washington DC area, and had my fill of traffic.

We went to the campsite to have dinner with them, and similar to the Arby's commercials where the Arby's logo are over everyone's heads, I think a light bulb was above all of our heads.

There was a playground for kids to play on. They could ride bikes, walk, run, and hike. There were people to socialize with. There was room to move around.

Inside the coach there was a stove AND an oven. There was a full size fridge WITH a freezer. These are things that are all absent on a cruiser of our size. We were all impressed, but the thing that did it for me was a freezer that contained ICE CREAM.

I was ready to try RVing, so we borrowed the in-laws 1984 Honey Bee. They were more than willing to lend it because they were trying to sell it, and I was always working on it so it would come back to them in better condition than it left.

We were hooked! I loved the water and the family liked the water, but when it came to camping it's something we ALL LOVED. There were no comprimises anywhere!

The next question was: should we buy the Honey Bee?

No comments: